Pages

April 26, 2016

Happy Vegan: My Vegan Journey





A few years ago I developed an array of food intolerance’s. This sparked my awareness to take seriously what I let enter my body in terms of food. I had always loved eating food and still today I find much pleasure in eating good food, but I had never really thought of the amount of dairy, meats and wheat I consumed on a daily basis. Three years ago I made the decision to go on a pescetarian diet, basically a person who eats fish or sea food but no other flesh.  I felt a great difference and wanted to pursue another approach on my health.  

On January 2, 2016, My husband and I decided to take on board a challenge: to eat only animal-free food for 30 days. A plant-based diet would mean no meat, fish, or flesh of any kind, no dairy products, eggs or honey – no animal ingredients whatsoever. Could we manage it for a whole month? Yes, we did it! Today is April 26, 2016 and we are still on our vegan journey.  We are a healthy couple. Our energy is through the roof. We run at least 3 to 5 miles a day at least three times a week. Trust me we could not do that before.  

With so many animal-free alternatives to all kinds of traditional meat and dairy products, I found the transition from pescetarian to vegan fairly straight forward. During this vegan journey, I really enjoyed shopping for vegan foods. Every time I went shopping I would come home with new foods and my diet soon became more varied than it had ever been before. I ate more fresh fruit and vegetables and of course I feel more energized.  I've lost weight without even trying to lose weight.  By eating satisfying, delicious plant-based foods, I am released from the prison of dieting. 

I have read a few books to help get a good of understanding of the vegan diet.  "The Happy Vegan" by Russell Simmons and "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstein are my two favorites.   We've also watched several videos but our favorite is "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins

My husband and I going vegan is the single most important thing that we could do for our health because it works for us.  It is rewarding.

Thank you for stopping by!

"Live To Inspire"







2 comments:

  1. This is the life! So many people think that this lifestyle is very challenging in actuality it's very easy. I have lived a pescetarian lifestyle for almost three years. I have found several challenges when it comes to eating out, other than that life is great. Through it all I lost about 22lbs and successfully decreased several health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! This life is so much better for me. I feel a difference in my mind body and spirit

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...